Disclaimer:

I take no responsibility for the things that happen to yourself or your equipment as a result of your actions. The following information is provided as a record of my own experiences and nothing more.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chuck's CNC Rebuild: Part 2

So I haven't posted in a Loooooong time. Being busy with school and all I didn't do much lately accept start part two of my rebuild, the bottom half of my new machine. I have to admit, I have more fun working on it than using it. Doesn't that seem backwards?
I built this part mostly out of oak just like before with 1/2in. black pipe for my linear rails and a few temporary parts that will later be properly made when I get it all together. While I liked the adjustment blocks I used for the X-axis I'm trying something new for the Y-axis. Instead of holes or rail supports on the frame I just added some bolt holes and the actual support pieces were made on my machine and bolted on.
Since I'm having rigidity problems I made some of the smaller parts from MDF instead of oak and soaked them in some 2 part epoxy. Now they don't swell with the humidity and don't mushroom when I drop them. I'm going to remake these later after I fix the rigidity problems (reason for my rebuild). I'll have some pictures up hopefully tomorrow.

1 comment:

Switcher said...

Chuck,

Glad to see your still kicken. :)

I know what you mean, I never have enough time for everything, I want to do.

Switcher