Disclaimer:

I take no responsibility for the things that happen to yourself or your equipment as a result of your actions. The following information is provided as a record of my own experiences and nothing more.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Chucks CNC Rebuild: Part 1


Well I finally have my machine rebuilt and I'm pretty happy with the results. So far I've replaced the MDF x-axis supports with oak and shortened the z-axis to hopefully help reduce some vibration problems(It was too tall anyways). I've also decided I like lovejoy couplings better than my direct coupling I used before. I'll have to do some research into power transmission and see if it really makes much difference. If anyone already knows then please leave a comment, I'd love to hear some opinions. I also added some aluminum adjustment blocks for the bearing slides. Using a cheap indicator dial I was able to adjust either end of the lead rod within 0.001in which was something I was previously unable to do. I was thrilled, then I remembered the bearing slides flex a little so I measured without changing my setup and you know what it was?.04in difference!! Keep in mind this is with respect to a level board clamped to my table which I'm fairly certain isn't 100% flat. Regardless that will have to go. I plan on changing my bearing slides from 1/2in to 3/4in. I'll do that next along with all new oak parts for the x and z carriages. Despite my disappointment This is a big improvement on the rigidity and adjustability front. I should be able to handle some higher cutting speeds. So whats next? I'm gonna make some stuff. Namely some new parts over the next who knows how long. I have a small laundry list of upgrades for the future:
  1. A new QUIETER spindle that can hold 1/4in bits
  2. emc2(I use TurboCNC now)
  3. a vacuum setup instead of just blowing air
  4. 3/4in x-axis bearing slides
  5. oak z-axis parts(I already designed these in CAMBAM)
  6. new, more rigid y-axis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would advise against using oak in your machines. Timber has a habit of growing and shrinking depending on the moisture content of the air.
MDF is stable and not subject to movement in the same way as timber.

Chazmtu said...

I haven't thought of that. I did coat it in poly though, I think that would help. My problem with mdf is that it starts to sag after a while.